In order to improve the sales efforts the sales effort of your startup, you needs to focus on the key blocks to sales success. There are seven specific steps your enterprise can take to establish and maintain strong sales:
- Do your homework. Do your research on who they are and what their needs are. Demonstrate that you are willing to help them, and anticipate the questions they may have about your product. Make sure you have good, solid answers grounded with an understanding of how your product or service fits the customer.
- Train, Train, Train. Sales and management could help improve your sales funnel, with training from available form a wide range of professional companies including Lammore Consulting.
- Become a valued resource. This is a natural consequence of the first step. If you take time to listen and ask questions, you will quickly be perceived as a resource, consultant or problem solver, rather than just a sales person. To achieve this you will need to have a strong online presence with a blog, focusing on the industry sector you are in. Furthermore you could also be seen as an expert when doing industry talks and being featured in relevant publications.
- Relax. When making a sales call you need to be calm, relaxed and clear. If you do not sound comfortable during your sales call, the client will probably be uncomfortable too.
- Take a few chances. Try out a new approach, a new marketing pitch or advertising channel. You’ll make mistakes, but learn from them. The rewards you gain are often a function of the risks you’ve taken. When operating a business in today’s competitive world, the greater risk is in thinking that the status quo will suffice.
- Retake the sales reins. If you’ve handed over the main sales effort to someone else, it might be time to step in yourself to right the ship. Initial sales success might have had your own personality stamped on it more than you know.
- Be an opportunist. Turn on or tune up your new opportunity radar. One of the dangers of early success in a startup is a sense of entitlement to new business. Opportunities almost always abound. You just have to know where to look and how to recognize them. Be constantly alert to potential partnerships, tie-ins or other ways to expand your selling base.
Developing a strong sales process is vital for startup success. Creating a compelling sales pitch for your product and focusing on sales training efforts will guaranty an improvement in the sales funnel..