An inter-process communication system that helps and allows the data to be communicated or shared between the different applications of an operating system such as Windows is known as dynamic data exchange. In this type of system, there are a set of commands and shared memory along with message formats and protocols for carrying out data communication and sharing.
How does it work?
In a dynamic data exchange, the client and server model is used in which the application which is requesting for any type of information is known as the client and the application which offers the particular required information is known as the server. There is no use of the libraries or any type of function as dynamic data exchange is a message-based protocol.
Various applications can make use of this protocol for one-time data transfer and also for continuous exchanges in which if there are any updates in the data it is exchanged between the applications as soon as new data is available.
It is required that the application window that carries out the processing of the client or the server requests must perform them in the order in which they are received. A particular Dynamic data exchange consists of the listed events:
- A conversation is initiated by a client application and it is responded by the server application.
- The data is exchanged by application through all or any of the given methods:
- At the client’s request, the server application sends the required data to the client.
- An unsolicited data is sent by the client application to the server application
- A request is sent by the client application to the server application for sending notification on any data item updates (warm data link and hot data link)
- On the client’s request, the server application performs a particular command
- By either the client or the server the conversation is terminated
Uses of Dynamic data exchange
With the help of Dynamic data exchange a wide range of application feature can be implemented for example:
- Real-time data linking, like the stock market updates, process control, and more
- Applying data queries between two applications where a spreadsheet can query a database for account details or past due.
- Helps in the creation of compound documents where a word processing document including charts can be produced through graphic applications. In this with the help of Dynamic data exchange when the source data is changed the chart also gets updated while there are no changes in the rest of the document.
There are different uses of dynamic data exchange and it is said to be the most appropriate system for data exchanges where there is no requirement of ongoing interaction of the user. Usually, the user gets a method from the application for establishing a link between the applications in which data is exchanging and hence because of this link establishment there is no further user involvement in data exchange between the applications.
In case of further questions, our team is always available for your assistance.